Friday, February 1, 2013

Beyonce Talks Lip sync Controversy, Destiny's Child, Tour

Beyonce was on a mission today to PROVE she can sing the national anthem like a pro – belting out a LIVE version of the “Star-Spangled Banner” moments ago on TV … without the help of a backing track ... and she KILLED IT.

Beyonce was at the news conference for her upcoming Super Bowl halftime show when she launched into the impromptu performance -- and when she finished the song, she simply said, “Any questions?”

During the conference, Bey was asked about the lip-syncing situation at the Presidential Inauguration last week, and she admitted she used a backing track -- claiming, "I am a perfectionist ... I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra [at the Inauguration]. It was a live television show and a very important moment for me."

Beyonce added, "Due to the weather, due to the delay, due to no proper sound check, I did not feel comfortable taking the risk … so I decided to sing along with my pre-recorded track, which is very common in the music industry. And I’m very proud of my performance."

When asked about a possible Destiny’s Child reunion at this Sunday's halftime show – Beyonce hedged on the answer.

So let this settle it once and for all ... girl can sing.


Quote:
In a little over 72 hours, Beyoncé will headline the Super Bowl XLVII halftime show. Before she takes the field at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans, the 31-year-old singer went in front of reporters at a press conference on Thursday.

First, she put the lip-syncing controversy to rest once and for all by singing “The Star-Spangled Banner” live, receiving roaring applause from reporters.

Once that was out of the way, she discussed her performance of the National Anthem at President Obama’s inauguration, plans for Sunday’s show, rumors that Destiny’s Child will join her onstage, and hinted about a tour.

On the lip-syncing controversy: “I decided to sing along with my pre-recorded track… I’m very proud of my performance.”

On a potential Destiny’s Child reunion at the Super Bowl: “I can’t really give you any details.”

On whether she will perform at the 55th Annual Grammy Awards: “I don’t know if I’m performing at the Grammys…”

On when she will tour: “I would say soon and I may have an announcement after the performance.”


Quote:
Three days before her much-anticipated performance during Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans, Beyonce announced that she will be singing live at the halftime show during a press conference held on Thursday afternoon (Jan. 31).

Wearing a short, backless white dress at the event, Beyonce took the stage and immediately asked those in attendance to stand, as she began singing an a cappella version of the Star-Spangled Banner. Last week, Beyonce performed (and infamously lip-synched) the song at the inauguration of President Barack Obama in Washington, D.C.; on Thursday, in her first media appearance since the Jan. 21 ceremony, Beyonce delivered a soaring rendition of the nation's anthem, and ended with the cheeky question, "Any questions?"

Minutes later, Beyonce was asked whether or not she was planning to sing live at the Super Bowl, and declared, "I will absolutely be singing live. I am well-rehearsed. I will absolutely be singing live, and this is what I was born to do."

When asked about the lip-sync controversy during the inauguration, Beyonce explained, "I am a perfectionist, and one thing about me, I practice until my feet bleed. And I did not have time to rehearse with the orchestra… Due to the weather, due to the delay, due to no proper sound-check, I did not feel comfortable taking a risk."

The superstar called the act of using a backing track "very common within the music industry," and said that she was "very proud of my performance" at the inauguration. She later added that rehearsals for the Super Bowl had made the inauguration performance overly taxing.

Aside from revealing her plans to sing live, Beyonce kept information about the upcoming performance sparse. Destiny's Child is assumed to be reuniting during the halftime extravaganza -- earlier this month, the trio released a new single, "Nuclear," ahead of their new compilation album, "Love Songs." However, when Beyonce was asked about a DC reunion at the Superdome in New Orleans, the singer smiled and said, "I can't really give you any details. I'm sorry."

Beyonce did hint at an important announcement immediately following the halftime show, which will be presented by Pepsi. The singer was asked when she will return to the road for a proper tour, answering, "I would say 'soon.' And I may have an announcement after the performance, and the fans should just stay tuned to see." Could this be the announcement of a new album to follow 2011's "4"? After all, Beyonce has confirmed that she is working on a new LP with collaborators like The-Dream, Justin Timberlake, Timbaland and Pharrell Williams.

Beyonce also expressed excitement over the opportunity to perform at the Super Bowl halftime show at the age of 31, and described the difficult process of "trying to condense a career into 12 minutes." When asked what she plans to do when the arduous Super Bowl experience is finally over, Beyonce replied, "I'm gonna enjoy my daughter."

During the press conference, Jennifer Hudson was also confirmed to be performing "America The Beautiful" before the match-up between the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens. The Oscar-winning performer will be joined by the Sandy Hook Elementary Choir from Newtown, Conn.

Beyonce's performance follows Madonna's record-smashing halftime show in 2012, in which the pop superstar was joined by Nicki Minaj, M.I.A., LMFAO and Cee-Lo Green. In 2004, Beyonce performed the national anthem at the Super Bowl.

 

No comments: