Monday, June 9, 2014

Pete Wentz interview

We are backstage at KROQ Weenie Roast when we catch up with Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz. Having known him for years the conversation starts very casually, "What is new?"

"Same old same old," he says. But that is definitely not the case, as Wentz, who was just working on new material with lead vocalist Patrick Stump right before we meet him, is very excited by and has a lot to say about the current state of popular music. In this entertaining chat Wentz explains why the album is the only thing off limits right now, gives a timeline for new Fall Out Boy music and discusses child actors.

How's the tour been going?
Good, we just got back, we did South America and then we went over and played in Monte Carlo randomly for the World Music Awards. Then we're getting ready to go out, we're doing festivals this summer and then go out with Paramore.

Did you gamble in Monte Carlo?
I did not, I tried to. I went for the James Bond vibe or whatever and you couldn't get in if you did not have the right attire.

What would be James Bond's games of choice?
He's a roulette player. The funny thing is I don't know any gambling at all. I spent my last few days in Vermont at my parents' house and we played War, we learned how to play with my kid. It's not a hard game to master (laughs).

How old is your son now?
Five and a half, crazy.

How is he as a War player?
He calls two's "crummy two's" and he's an ace hogger, so he's a kid after my heart (laughs).

What is coming up for you guys musically?
We're writing. I was just listening to something Patrick had written in the trailer. So we're writing, finishing out the album cycle in South Africa in September and then I feel like the great thing about what internet culture has morphed into, we were goofing around with this weird French producer the other day just for the heck of it. And I feel like you can just put out whatever and as long as it's authentic to who you are. It can be singles or an EP, it's just whatever you want.


Is there an idea then of when new stuff will filter out?
I feel like it has to be before the end of the year. But we haven't set a date yet or what it's going to be like. I feel like you can just put out songs that you care about now.


Full story

No comments: