Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Guy Sigsworth talks Everytime with Britney

I did a couple of songs with Robyn, and she was mates with the whole Swedish crowd around Max Martin. She played them the tracks that we'd done, and they really liked them, and said, "Hey, we should bring Britney around." She just came around to the place where I'd worked on the Frou Frou material, and initially I wasn't quite sure what to do because she's famous for her more dance-y songs, and I'm not. But it all turned out great. She had the root idea for "Everytime" (on her album In the Zone), and I could really tell that her heart was in it. I knew what my mission was. I could see the picture. She believed in the song, and I had to find a way to present it that was true to the simple emotion of it. It was a joy to do.   At the time, Britney had started to play the piano a bit, and she could certainly play well enough to spell out the root chords. She'd show me what she had, and I would say, "Well, here's how we could fill this out." We both knew where it needed to go, so I could color it in after she'd sung the main vocal. I love it when I get the vocal very early on, and I'm free to experiment with arrangement ideas while always hearing that final vocal. I love it when it can happen that way, though not every time is like that. We both knew we had to avoid all the cheesy power ballad cliches. No windchimes into the chorus. No giant snare drums. I loved it.
https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/from-bjork-to-britney-songwriter-and-producer-guy-sigsworth-on-being-a-kindred-spirit-in-the-studio/5/

No comments: