Sunday, May 12, 2013

Katharine McPhee Talks 'Smash' Cancelation

Just one day before NBC officially announced the cancelation of Smash, star Katharine McPhee talked to The Hollywood Reporter about the inevitable conclusion of the fictional Broadway drama.

“Sure, I wish that it could have five more seasons, but we had two great seasons and all I can say is I loved every moment of it,” said McPhee, whose costars included Debra Messing, Anjelica Huston, and Megan Hilty. “I loved getting to the set, I loved the people, I loved my crew. We did amazing things on the show in two years.”

The former American Idol runner-up is certainly no stranger to show business. She's been trying to break into acting for as long as she's been singing, and having grown up in Los Angeles, McPhee knows what trials lie ahead. "With this business, you can never predict what people are going to like or love or hate," she told THR. "All I know is that when the show started and people were so excited about the pilot, I was excited to finally be a part of something that could showcase me. Everyone has perceptions about what you’re capable of and what you can do and this show was a huge gift.”

Soon after news broke on Friday that the network was pulling the plug on the show two seasons in, the 29-year-old took to Twitter with a lengthy response to her fans. Among McPhee's tweets: "Love you all! Your passion is so heartwarming! Life is about chapters and the relationships you make along the way. Next chapter! Exciting. And I love this girl @meganhiltly soooooooo much! One of the many great things I gained!"

Now with Smash shoots permanently wrapped, does McPhee, who said she “fell in love with New York -- the city and the people,” plan to stay on the East Coast? It's unlikely. Said McPhee: “The reality is everything I need to do and create and pursue at the moment is in L.A."

That includes working on new music for Columbia Records. Among her collaborators on songs for a forthcoming album are Linda Perry, Ryan Tedder, Salaam Remi and Sia.

No comments: